At Suikoushya in Kyoto, Japan, we teach traditional Japanese woodworking in English.
About three years after the opening of the Suikoushya International Craft School, I was able to share woodworking with people all over the world.
However, some people find it difficult to come to Japan due to physical and financial constraints.
So I’m going around the world to share woodworking.
In 2022, I will be teaching in Île de France, just outside of Paris!
Now it is possible to learn fine Japanese woodworking outside of Japan!
What we need is our spirits of making beautiful things and enjoying carpentry, and skills adjusting the “tools” with our hands.
I teach with a particular emphasis on these two.
In 2022, a Japanese woodworking school will be held in Île de France. The classes will be held in a town about 1 hour away from Paris.
Since it is centrally located in Europe, more people from around the world will be able to join the school.
I am looking forward to sharing Japanese woodworking with you in France!
School outline: 1-month Japanese woodworking classes
Introduction to Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- An introduction to Japanese woodworking tools
- Basics of using Japanese Hand tools.
- Sharpening tools.
- Setting up Nomi(chisels)and Kanna (hand planes).
- How to handle trees
Using Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- Making a sharpening stone base.
- Making a tools box.
Making Japanese Joinery:
- Hozo Ana and Hozo (Mortise and Tenon)
- Ari Tsugi (Dovetail).
- Kama Tsugi.
- Sachi Tsugi.
- Okkake-Daisen Tsugi.
- Kanawa Tsugi.
- Dai-Mochi Tsugi.
- Okuri Ari.
*Students may not complete all of the joineries listed above. The number of joineries completed will depend on the individual’s speed.
Getting familiar with a Kanna:
- Making a Kanna Dai.
- Using a Kanna, making a flat surface.
- Challenge getting thin shavings.
The maximum number of students: 5 pax.
Classes are from Monday to Friday. 9 am to 3 pm.
Students can question the teacher until 5 pm.
The school workspace can be used every day (including weekends) from 8 am to 8 pm.
Tuition fee; 4.790,00€
＊You can also pay in cryptocurrency, so please contact us.
＊If you are unable to attend the class due to COVID 19, you will receive a full refund regardless of the cancellation policy.
- A master Japanese woodworking classes (construction of a real school)
- The class of July : July 11th-August 5th (1 seats left)
- The class of October : September 26th-October 21st (Full)
- The class of November: October 24th-November 18th (2 seats left)
- The class of December: November 28th-December 23rd (5 seats left)
As of November 29
A beautiful Forest 45 km from Paris
This place is privately owned, so please refrain from entering and exiting freely until the day of admission. If you would like to visit, please be sure to contact us in advance.