At Suikoushya in Kyoto, Japan, we teach traditional Japanese woodworking in English.
About two years after the opening of the Suikoushya, I was able to share woodworking with people all over the world.
However, some people find it difficult to come to Japan due to physical and financial problems.
So I’m going around the world to share woodworking.
The first country is France. In 2021, I will be teaching in Marseille, France !
Do you think that fine woodworking can only be done in Japan?
What we need is our spirits of making beautiful things and enjoying carpentry, and skills adjusting the “tools” in our hands.
I teach with a particular emphasis on these two.
In 2021, a Japanese woodworking school will be held in Marseille, France.
Since it is centrally located in Europe, more people from around the world will be able to join the school.
I am looking forward to sharing Japanese woodworking with you in the wonderful city of Marseille!
School course outline: 1-month course
Introduction to Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- An introduction to Japanese woodworking tools
- Basics of using Japanese Hand tools.
- Sharpening tools.
- Setting up Nomi(chisels)and Kanna (hand planes).
- How to handle trees
Using Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- Making a sharpening stone base.
- Making a tools box.
Making Japanese Joinery:
- Hozo Ana and Hozo (Mortise and Tenon)
- Ari Tsugi (Dovetail).
- Kama Tsugi.
- Sachi Tsugi.
- Okkake-Daisen Tsugi.
- Kanawa Tsugi.
- Dai-Mochi Tsugi.
- Okuri Ari.
*Students may not complete all of the joineries listed above. The number of joineries completed will depend on the individual’s speed.
Getting familiar with a Kanna:
- Making a Kanna Dai.
- Using a Kanna, making a flat surface.
- Challenge getting thin shavings.
The maximum number of students: 4 pax.
Classes are from Monday to Friday. 9 am to 3 pm.
Students can question the teacher until 5 pm.
The school workspace can be used every day (including weekends) from 8 am to 8 pm.
- The course of May: May 3rd – May 28th
- The course of June: June 7th – July 2nd
- The course of July: July 12th – August 6th
- The course of September: August 16th – September 10th
- 10月のコース：9月 20日〜10月15日
- 11月のコース：10月 25日〜11月19日
- 12月のコース： 11月 29日〜12月24日