December 2021 Marseille class!
At Suikoushya in Kyoto, Japan, we teach traditional Japanese woodworking in English.
About two years after the opening of the Suikoushya, I was able to share woodworking with people all over the world.
However, some people find it difficult to come to Japan due to physical and financial constraints.
So I’m going around the world to share woodworking.
The first country is France. In 2021, I will be teaching in Marseille, France !
Do you think that fine woodworking can only be done in Japan?
What we need is our spirits of making beautiful things and enjoying carpentry, and skills adjusting the “tools” with our hands.
I teach with a particular emphasis on these two.
In 2021, a Japanese woodworking school will be held in Marseille, France.
Since it is centrally located in Europe, more people from around the world will be able to join the school.
I am looking forward to sharing Japanese woodworking with you in the wonderful city of Marseille!
School course outline: 1-month Japanese woodworking classes
Introduction to Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- An introduction to Japanese woodworking tools
- Basics of using Japanese Hand tools.
- Sharpening tools.
- Setting up Nomi(chisels)and Kanna (hand planes).
- How to handle trees
Using Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- Making a sharpening stone base.
- Making a tools box.
Making Japanese Joinery:
- Hozo Ana and Hozo (Mortise and Tenon)
- Ari Tsugi (Dovetail).
- Kama Tsugi.
- Sachi Tsugi.
- Okkake-Daisen Tsugi.
- Kanawa Tsugi.
- Dai-Mochi Tsugi.
- Okuri Ari.
*Students may not complete all of the joineries listed above. The number of joineries completed will depend on the individual’s speed.
Getting familiar with a Kanna:
- Making a Kanna Dai.
- Using a Kanna, making a flat surface.
- Challenge getting thin shavings.
The maximum number of students: 4 pax.
Classes are from Monday to Friday. 9 am to 3 pm.
Students can question the teacher until 5 pm.
The school workspace can be used every day (including weekends) from 8 am to 8 pm.
You cannot drive into the premises.
Tuition fee 4.790,00€
＊You can also pay in cryptocurrency, so please contact us.
＊If you are unable to attend the class due to COVID 19, you will receive a full refund regardless of the cancellation policy.
Status as of May 8
- The class of May: May 3rd – May 28th (finish)
- The class of June: June 7th – July 2nd ( finish)
- The class of July: July 12th – August 6th (Full)
- The class of September: August 16th – September 10th (Full)
- The class of October: September 20th – October 15th (Full)
- The class of November: October 18th – November 12th (Full)
- The course of December: November 22nd – December 17th ( Full)
10 Rue de la Panetière,
13016 Marseille France
This place is privately owned, so please refrain from entering and exiting freely until the day of admission.
If you would like to visit, please be sure to contact us in advance.