“Currently, there are several places to learn about woodworking in Japan; however, they are hosted in Japanese. Over the past few months, I have learned that there are many people who wish to study in Japan but are held back because of the language barrier. Due to this, many are hesitant to pursue their dreams of studying woodworking in Japan.
I believe it is a waste for people to give up on thoroughly learning something they are passionate about just because of the language.
So I thought about it… and realised the answer to this big barrier is to build a school catered for English speakers where they can learn these woodworking skills.”
This school will be conducted in English where you will learn intensively about traditional Japanese woodworking. It will be taught directly by an active Japanese carpenter. An English speaking carpenter will also be on hand to help translate.
School course outline: 1-month course
Introduction to Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- An introduction to Japanese woodworking tools
- Basics of using Japanese Hand tools.
- Going to the local tool stores.
- Setting up Nomi(chisels)and Kanna (hand planes).
- Sharpening tools.
Using Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- Making a sharpening stone base.
- Making a tools box.
Making Japanese Joinery:
- Hozo(Mortise and Tenon).
- Hozo with Kusabi and Komisen.
- Ari Tsugi(dovetail).
- Kama Tsugi.
- Sachi Tsugi.
- Kanawa Tsugi.
- Dai-Mochi Tsugi.
- Okuri Ari.
*Students may not complete all of the joineries listed above. The number of joineries completed will depend on the individual’s speed.
Getting familiar with a Kanna:
- Making a Kanna Dai.
- Using a Kanna, making a flat surface.
- Challenge getting thin shavings.
The maximum number of students: 4 pax.
Classes are from Monday to Friday. 9 am to 3 pm.
Students can question the teacher until 5 pm.
The school workspace can be used every day (including weekends) from 8 am to 8 pm.
- The course of February: February 3st -February 28th (1 seats left)
- The course of March: March 2st – March 27th (full)
- The course of April: April 6st – May 1th (2 seats left)
- The course of May: May 4st – May 29th (full)
- The course of June: June 1st – June 26th(3 seats left)
- The course of July: June 29th – July 24st (full)
- The course of September: August 31st – September 25th(full)
- The course of October: October 5th – October 30th (full）
- The course of November: November 2nd – November 27th (full)
- The course of December: November 30th – December 25th (full)
* Please check the application link below for the latest course availability.