“Currently, there are several places to learn about woodworking in Japan; however, they are hosted in Japanese. Over the past few months, I have learned that there are many people who wish to study in Japan but are held back because of the language barrier. Due to this, many are hesitant to pursue their dreams of studying woodworking in Japan.
I believe it is a waste for people to give up on thoroughly learning something they are passionate about just because of the language.
So I thought about it… and realised the answer to this big barrier is to build a school catered for English speakers where they can learn these woodworking skills.”
This school will be conducted in English where you will learn intensively about traditional Japanese woodworking. It will be taught directly by an active Japanese carpenter.
1-month woodworking classes outline;
Introduction to Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- An introduction to Japanese woodworking tools
- Basics of using Japanese Hand tools.
- Going to the local tool stores.
- Setting up Nomi(chisels)and Kanna (hand planes).
- Sharpening tools.
Using Japanese Woodworking Tools:
- Making a sharpening stone base.
- Making a tools box.
Making Japanese Joinery:
- Hozo(Mortise and Tenon).
- Hozo with Kusabi and Komisen.
- Ari Tsugi(dovetail).
- Kama Tsugi.
- Sachi Tsugi.
- Kanawa Tsugi.
- Dai-Mochi Tsugi.
- Okuri Ari.
*Students may not complete all of the joineries listed above. The number of joineries completed will depend on the individual’s speed.
Getting familiar with a Kanna:
- Making a Kanna Dai.
- Using a Kanna, making a flat surface.
- Challenge getting thin shavings.
Various experiences in Kyoto；
- Tour of tool shops (4 stores)
- Architectural exploration of Kyoto’s shrines, temples, and old house.
- Paper making experience
- Blacksmithing tour
- Tour of Kyoto’s antique markets (held at Toji Temple and Kitano Tenmangu Shrine)
- Hand saw milling tour
- Tour of the KAWAI Kanjiro Memorial Hall
Optional tour only for those who wish
- Guide to the Takenaka Carpentry Tools Museum
- Make your own Kanna blade
*A separate fee will be charged（Please contact us for details.）
- The maximum number of students: 5 pax. ＊If you are unable to attend the class due to COVID 19, you will receive a full refund regardless of the cancellation policy.
- Classes are from Monday to Friday. 9 am to 3 pm.
- Students can question the teacher until 5 pm.
- The school workspace can be used every day (including weekends) from 8 am to 8 pm.
August Course July 17th – August 11th ( Full )
September Course August 21st – September 15th ( Full )
October Course September 25th – October 20th ( Full )
November Course October 30th – November 25th ( Full )
December Course December 4th – December 29th ( Full )
＊I can put you on the waiting list. Please contact us.